Exam week is here! The end is in sight, and to celebrate I’ll be kicking off my book tour THIS SATURDAY. I’ll be signing books at Kat’s Book Nook from 1-3 p.m. If you won’t be able to make it this Saturday, check out my Events page for the rest of the book tour stops. This summer is going to be amazing!!
I think that calls for chocolate. Since my dark chocolate quinoa cupcakes were so popular last Monday (thanks to everyone who shared and posted that they tried them), I decided to share another delicious, healthy treat: sweet potato brownies.
Don’t give me that look. I know what you are thinking. Sweet potatoes + chocolate sounds weird. Let me assure you, though, that these are moist, full of chocolatey goodness, and 100% decadent without any guilt. Still don’t trust me? While I was experimenting with this recipe I found last week, I invited my skeptical friend Stefania over for dinner. When I told her what was for dessert, she gave me the same look. But after the first bite, she was a sweet potato brownie convert! Stefania RAVES about these brownies and said they were the BEST she’s ever eaten. And sweet potato brownies also have Shane’s stamp of approval. He said the only bad part of this recipe is trying not to eat the whole pan. Testify!
The sweet potato adds, well, sweetness and keeps the brownies nice and moist. It also adds potassium, magnesium, vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin B, iron, and calcium. The only strange ingredient you might find on the recipe is coconut flour. If you aren’t familiar with coconut flour, it is finely ground coconut meat. The flour is really absorbent, high in fiber and protein, and naturally gluten-free. I don’t usually go out on a mission to make food gluten-free, but it’s a nice added bonus (especially when you have a sister and nieces with Celiac’s)! You could try to substitute the coconut flour for regular flour, but I’m not sure what the conversion rate would be (maybe 1 cup of regular flour?). If you decide to give coconut flour a try, you won’t be sorry. It doesn’t add a coconut-y flavor (for those who don’t like coconut) and makes delicious baked goods. Be bold, experiment, and EAT LOTS OF BROWNIES!
Sweet Potato Brownies
1 sweet potato
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 unrefined organic coconut oil
1/3 cup raw honey
1 tsp vanilla
3 Tablespoons coconut flour
3 Tablespoons cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- First thing you want to do is bake that sweet potato to get the sugars all caramelized and yummy. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees, use a fork to puncture holes all around it, wrap it in aluminum foil and then throw in the oven for 25-30 minutes
- Once your sweet potato is soft and cooked through, peel off the skin and mash it up in a bowl. And turn your oven down to 350 degrees.
- Now add your wet ingredients: eggs, coconut oil, honey, and vanilla to the bowl and mix together.
- Then add your dry ingredients: coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and chocolate chips.
- Mix well to incorporate all that goodness.
- Pour into a prepared 8×8 glass baking dish.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a knife poked through the middle comes out clean.
- Let rest to cool a bit.
- DEVOUR! 🙂